The Internet is a staple of our daily lives. For the most part, we all use it; we’re all familiar with it. But what if you’re looking to impress your friends with some random facts about the internet? Here are 7 good ones to try on them.
- According to its creator, .GIF is actually pronounced “JIF.” But everybody still pronounces it “GIF”.
- The first recorded use of a webcam was at Cambridge to monitor a coffee pot.
- The approximate weight of the entire Internet is equal to about one strawberry.
- The first modern emoticon, “:-)”, was established in 1982 by Scott Fahlman as a way of denoting jokes or sarcasm.
- During peak hours, Netflix now accounts for more than a third of all North American Internet traffic.
- The “Fi” in Wi-Fi doesn’t really mean anything. It was originally used because its creators needed an alternative to “IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence” for marketability. They settled on Wi-Fi, a play on the term “Hi-Fi.
- Finland made Internet access a legal right in 2010, becoming the first country to do so.